Saturday, November 27, 2010

from cebu, with love

Mabuhay, bitches. 

This time last week, I was sipping on some San Miguel with great company, and living on the easy street. I must tell you that I had the time of my life. I might exhaust the scroll to your right if I were to  entirely coin that beautiful experience with my beautiful friends into words. So, here's a deduced version of a malleable reality.

Our itinerary from 18 to 23 Nov was to cover the northern and southern tip of Cebu; Moalboal and Bantayan.

Moalboal

We touched down in Mactan Island in the wee hours of morning and made our way to Moalboal, which was about 3 hours away. The commute was the perfect time to steal some shut-eye and it was perfect waking up to the sunrise, beaming over the ocean.


Our activity for the first day was canyoning. We took a 40-minute hike and was a given a crash course on how to repel down a waterfall.

The first obstacle was a 15m high waterfall and I felt my gut-wrenching and my courage wearing paper-thin. In the end, I decided "don't let your mind stop you from having a good time". At one point, I thought "hey, you live once' then I swallowed another thought that "you only die once too". Since I am writing this, I live to tell the tale. Yet another day in living up to my pseudonym and giving my false sense of identity some gratification.

We managed a few other obstacles. The biggest one was a 10-storey-high waterfall which had us dangling in mid-air! I felt like a gravity-defying machine. At the end of it, we settled in a hot spring. Awesome giler peh nature, tapi lagi awesome 'gantung nyawa' ngan korang.


We spent the night on a mat by the beach and watched the night sky, littered with a million stars, with a full luna. I can only describe the feeling of submitting myself into the moment as love. I saw countless shooting stars and I completely forgot about wishing upon them because I was so contented that there was nothing more that I could possibly ask for.



The second day involved river-climbing. It is not overstating when I say that this was one of the longest and toughest adventure of my life. It was a 4-hour hike and the trail was treacherous. I struggled so much to find my balance but 'I faked it till I made it'. So, hooray! I'm lucky I had the boys and Erec, our guide, to lend me a helping hand.The rest is history.

Bantayan

We touched down in Bantayan at night, after a 9-hour commute, and a hangover. The moment we alighted from the ferry, we were hustled hard by the locals. It was so dodgy, and worst, our accomodation was a makeshift house which looks like chicken coop.

We ended the night with a bonfire, and I slept in hammock which sufficed as more than a consolation to me. When I woke up the next morning, the sun, my favourite star, did its magic and transformed the entire place into paradise.


We snorkelled, beach-hopped, and did nothing but waste away. Dolce far niente, the sweetness of doing nothing. We saw a double rainbow across the clear blue water. We dined under the moonlight.

The last night of our little adventure was commemorated with heavy rain. We did a raindance, went into the ocean and formed a circle, singing our hearts out. It was crazy fun.

Cebu has been love. I enjoyed setting myself apart from home, and finding a home in the pillars of friendship. I was never far away from a contagious laugh, breaking into a song or suddenly dancing silly.

Love you guys :)
- I who have nothing but the comfort of my friends

No comments: