Thursday, December 22, 2011

in time

I have been searching for a decent copy of “In Time” to download for quite a while. Last evening, I finally found it. The life and times of a bandwidth bandit involves the constant waiting of seeds and leechers but good things come to those who wait. Waiting too is a practice for my patience, hence, I am killing it in the virtual world. #cybercrimes #conversationswithmyself

Anyway, I finally watched it last night and I think it had a pretty interesting concept. The idea is that everyone has a digital tattoo-like LED watch on their wrist. In this world, the time on your wrist is monetary. You use the time on your watch to buy the things you need and want. Once the time on your watch runs out, you tap out of life and basically die lah. That watch on your wrist stipulates your death date and time, which forces you to chase after life when your clock ticks closer to zero.

When you know your death date, you become so concerned in trying to outrun it, you forget to live and let live. I must admit that it has come across my mind that I wish I knew when my death date was, thinking that I could plan myself for or against it, but that thought was in vain. Knowledge comes with a new set of responsibilities. It seems that knowledge that you weren’t meant for, or ready for, does not usually bring you betterment, and might even cause you burden.

On the flipside, because our death is normally unknown, unplanned and sometimes untimely, we live expecting that tomorrow is a certainty, forgetting that every moment is a blessing, and we begin to take it for granted. I have always been intrigued by dolphins and whales because they are ‘voluntary breathers’. Every breath that they take is a conscious choice to live. Perhaps being aware of your death date can cause you burden, but being aware that your death is a certainty motivates you to make a conscious choice to live.

I remember this story about time and relativity. 8 people were trapped in a lift, and only one of them had a watch. The man with the watch calculated the amount of oxygen against the number of people in the lift to determine how much time they had. Based on his calculations, they each had 30 minutes before they ran out of oxygen. He kept this to himself because he did not want to strike panic to the rest of them. 30 minutes later, the man with the watch was the only person who died, and the rest stayed on much later until they were eventually rescued. The knowledge of time killed the man with the watch.

I went on for a bit there speaking about things I don’t fully understand. Till the next confusion :)

- love and light, adrenalene

No comments: