Friday, March 15, 2013

I miss Mdm Gan.

She was my best friend for the past 2 weeks. We've had each others' back during our short-lived friendship. She had an overzealous concern about my eating habits and I repaid it by making sure she doesn't scratch herself too much and that she doesn't swing too close to the court side in case she falls.

Whenever she looks at me, her lips curve into a sincere smile and her eyes gleam with kindness. Honestly, it can be depressing being here. The old woman opposite me cries as quickly as she laughs. The old woman beside Mdm Gan chants her pain during her waking hours, and that includes after dark. She would chant for help and at times, she chants that to die is better than being in her condition. Mdm Gan is by a stark comparison, sunshine. She is alone most of the day but she looks happy.

Mdm Gan and I share small conversations in a mish-mash of Malay and Mandarin. I would ask her ridiculous questions like where is her boyfriend and I would try to steal her food. I wake up to her smile each morning and I feel lighter each time I hear her whole-hearted laugh.

She was discharged yesterday morning. I truly wish her well on her road to recovery and I'm grateful to know an 80-year-old woman who suffers from dementia but never forgets her manners nor her smile.

- love and light, adrenalene

No comments: