Friday, March 1, 2013

'What a strange illusion it is to suppose that beauty is goodness.'
Leo Tolstoy
My lovely homegirl sent me this quote this morning and it sparked off an interesting discussion about the pursuit of beauty and perfection.

In truth, I am totally disillusioned by beauty. I enjoy things that are aesthetically pleasing and I am always envious of a pretty face when I see one. I think that we all strive for perfection whether we acknowledge it or not.

Why do we want beauty? What defines beauty? I don't have any answers, all I have are mere deductions of my summed up experiences. I think it is an innate thing in all humans to want beauty, and perhaps the problem lies not in wanting beauty but in how we define beauty.

This goes back to the age-old argument that our concept of beauty has been brainwashed by society. The girl that is thin, has huge eyes, thick lips, perfect skin etc is considered beautiful. I have long bought into this idea too and I feel that I must be pretty messed up within to value such a temporal and fleeting definition of external beauty more than inner beauty that is everlasting.

Here is the truth that I need to convince myself with. Society has misconstrued our definition of beauty and gave us levels of beauty. In actuality, everyone is beautiful both internally and externally. Each specific detail on our face makes us unique but the way we share the same elements makes us indifferent. My round face, flat nose, small eyes, huge forehead and dark circles gives me a sense of recognition so others can call me Azlin. Those shapes, colours and sizes are merely details and misconstrued beauty has it that I try to make myself the same as the misconceived notion. What we need to come to terms with is that it is our differences that makes us beautiful so we should stop trying to shape shift into everybody else.

While we strive for perfection, it is our humility that perfects us.

- love and light, adrenalene

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

strangely enough, it takes a simple quote to make a beautiful person like you really comprehend, when a basic mortal been trying to illuminate this perplexing theory almost a few years. heh. how i me love quotes. hur. hur.

-annoying-mous ;)

Narciss said...

I me love me